Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In The Service Of What?

I think that service learning is extremely important to all. I think that people need to sometimes go outside of their box and see the actual real world and see what goes on in other peoples daily lives. I also think that when people do service learning they get rewarded by how thankful the people are and you feel good about yourself. In high school I had to do service learning and I did it at a private pre and kindergarten school and loved it! It was a real eye opener to how the children acted and how it was different from everyday and I learned so much from it!!

1. "In addition to helping those they serve, such service learning activities seek to promote students' self-esteem, to develop higher-order thinking skills, to make use of multiple abilities, and to provide authentic learning experiences--all goals of current curriculum reform efforts" I think that this quote is very true. I think while you are doing service learning not only are you helping out the people you are working with, but you are also helping out yourself. You learn from people and you realize how much you can actually do to help someone out.

2. "The ability of service learning curriculum to foster authentic, experience-based learning opportunities, to motivate students, to help students in higher-order thinking in contextually varied environments, and to promote interdisciplinary studies" I think that this quote is true. I feel this way about my service learning right now that we are going through. I am learning a great deal with being with the students and I help them with what the students need.

3."The experiential and interpersonal components of service learning activities can achieve the first crucial step toward diminishing the sense of "otherness" that often separates students--particularly privileged students--from those in need. In so doing, the potential to develop caring relationships is created." I love this quote. I think that in schools where you have privileged students and where you have those students in need sometimes the students in need get put down even more by the privileged students which doesn't make them feel any better about themselves.

2 comments: