Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us

I really enjoyed reading this piece and I also agreed with it. I think that some of the cartoons and shows that children watch are horrible and should not be watched because they get a lot of their ideas from them. I also think that by watching some of the shows, girls and even boys look up to the characters and think that they have to look or act a certain way, and those who don't are in the minority which I don't agree with either. I think that the roles should be played by whoever no matter their race or sex and this way the children won't feel like they should act or look a certain way. I liked how the teacher let the students criticize the cartoons and how they felt about them and then she had them make pamphlets or critiques about how they felt.

1. "First I want students to critique portrayals of hierarchy and inequality in children's movies and cartoons. Then I want to enlist them to imagine a better world, characterized by relationships of respect and equality." I like this quote because she did exactly that. She let the students critique the cartoons themselves and they saw themselves that the cartoons aren't just what they seem, they are about racism, sexism, and violence and the students saw that for themselves.

2. "As Tinker Bell inspects her tiny body in a mirror only to find that her minute hips are simply too huge, she shows us how to turn the mirror into an enemy...and this scenario is repeated in girls' locker rooms all over the world. Because we can never look like Cinderella, we begin to hate ourselves. The Barbie syndrome starts as we begin a lifelong search for the perfect body. Crash diets, fat phobias and an obsession with the materialistic become commonplace. The belief that a product will make us rise above our competition, our friends, turns us into addicts. Our fix is that Calvin Klein push-up bra, Guess jeans, Chanel lipstick, and the latest suede flats. We don't call is deception; we call it good taste. And soon it feels awkward going into the mailbox without makeup" I love this quote, I think its perfectly said and I think its so true, theres nothing else to really say about it, it explains itself!

3. "Instead of leaving students full of bile, standing around with their hands on their hips, shaking their heads about how bad the world is, I provided them the opportunity to make a difference." I really liked this quote because I feel as though there should be a lot more people in the world that are doers instead of just all talk. People can talk all they want but nothings going to get done unless they actually do something about it!

2 comments:

  1. I described a similar quote to your third one in my entry. Oftentimes students need to be reminded why they are learning something, or else learning loses its value. One way to accomplish this is to do what Christensen has her students do; make brochures that will actually be distributed; relate what is done in class to everyday life, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the quote about Tinkerbell was interesting and I had never noticed that part of the movie before. I think that children's movies need to be looked at critically and something needs to change so that kids are getting these kinds of messages from them.

    ReplyDelete